Our Emerging Business attorneys guide young emerging growth companies through the challenges of building a successful business. Our emerging business clients come from a broad spectrum of industries, including, consumer products and retail, e-commerce, media and entertainment, financial services, energy and clean technology, insurance, life sciences, industrial manufacturing and distribution, biotechnology, software, telecommunications and networking and healthcare services. We understand that the legal services provided to emerging companies must reflect an understanding of each client's business plan and strategies. To that end, each emerging business has a contact partner within the group who is familiar with the company, its owners, officers and operations.
Our attorneys are well-versed in choosing the appropriate business entity that will facilitate future efforts to raise capital or sell the business, addressing tax and liability concerns of emerging businesses, and providing value-added business planning and financial advice by recruiting board members, identifying financing sources and referring executive candidates for employment. Our attorneys advise emerging businesses on labor, employment, immigration and citizenship law issues, as well as intellectual property matters that increasingly affect all businesses.
Our representation of early stage companies is comprehensive and encompasses such areas as:
- Entity selection and formation;
- Seed-stage investments, including angel investors and friends and family;
- Venture capital investments;
- Private placements of equity and debt securities;
- Mezzanine financings;
- Mergers and acquisitions, including:
- acquisitions and dispositions of assets and stock
- mergers and other business combination transactions
- joint ventures and strategic alliances
- distribution arrangements and cashing out transactions
- Government sources of financings such as Small Business Administration programs and stimulus funding;
- Recapitalizations and restructurings;
- Leveraged buyouts;
- Initial public offerings;
- Day-to-day legal matters and contracts;
- Commercial disputes;
- Intellectual property protection; and
- Tax and estate planning and intellectual property matters.
Our attorneys form an interdisciplinary team that draws on experience from a number of the firm's practice areas, including tax, intellectual property, labor and employment, immigration, public strategy, government contracts, real estate and litigation. Our intellectual property attorneys have in-depth knowledge of the methods available to protect a client's patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets. Our intellectual property attorneys also help prepare intellectual property applications, manage portfolios and establish offensive and defensive strategies.
As a result of our extensive experience assisting emerging growth companies, we can advise on a variety of liquidity alternatives and exit strategies that best suit the founders and shareholders of a particular company while at the same time delivering efficient, personalized and responsive legal services. We have frequently been able to introduce our clients to funding sources. We build long term relationships with our clients and the resources of our Firm are at their disposal.